Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Take up the challenge to reduce your food miles for one week...



Over the last couple of years I have become increasingly aware of what we are eating, how it is grown and where it comes from ..... so to develop my awareness even more and to evaluate how successfully I manage to feed my family, I have signed up for Local Harvest Challenge.

This challenge takes on the goal of intentionally reclaiming your food choices and decreasing the degrees of separation between us and our food. 
The challenge takes place between Monday 1st April — Sunday 7th April 2013

There are heaps of useful resources on the Local Harvest website to help you with your challenge and with everyday living. I particularly like the 'Finding Good Food Close to You' tool where you type in your postcode and up comes lists of farmers, produces, food sources within a chosen radius.
In my area it shows me details of great producers and suppliers such as Purple Pear Farm , the Beanstalk Organic Foods, Food Integrity Group (FIG) and Kooragang City Farm.

 Visits to our local farmer's markets will be fun.
I will also start planning my garden plantings to ensure that I can provide a lot of my own vegetables during the challenge - I will be planting carrots, lettuce, spinach, some late tomatoes, squash and Asian greens to be ready for April.

If you would like to join the challenge, register at Local Harvest Challenge.  
I would love to hear how you reduce your food miles ... leave me a comment ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment