Saturday, January 26, 2013

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY!!!

Today in Australia, we are celebrating Australia Day.
We have spent the day with family having an Australian BBQ lunch followed by lamingtons.

The weather is typically Australian - hot, humid and then torrential rain .... no wonder Dorothea MacKellar penned the beautiful poem, 'My Country' back in 1904.


I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror -
The wide brown land for me!


This sculpture at the National Arboretum Canberra was created by Marcus Tatton, Futago and Chris Viney and inspired by Dorothea Mackellar’s poem My Country.


1 comment:

  1. Great minds think alike Maureen, this poem was resonating with me too amidst this wild weather. I sent you an email to thank you for the phone but not sure if it went through. mel x

    ReplyDelete